One Day - David Nichols; my review

Click the image for more info
Info from Barnes and Noble

Overview
It’s 1988 and Dexter Mayhew and Emma Morley have only just met. But after only one day together, they cannot stop thinking about one another. Over twenty years, snapshots of that relationship are revealed on the same day—July 15th—of each year. Dex and Em face squabbles and fights, hopes and missed opportunities, laughter and tears. And as the true meaning of this one crucial day is revealed, they must come to grips with the nature of love and life itself.

Product Details
ISBN-13: 9780307946713
Publisher: Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group
Publication date: 5/24/2011
Pages: 448
Sales rank: 69.299
Series: Vintage Contemporaries Series

My review:

I've read this book a few years ago, but now I decided to write about it. It was actually one of the books that touched me the most, and I'm about to read it again. It was a book that from the first moment I saw it, it captured my attention, and it didn't disappoint me. I remember it well ... I was still in college, and I used to take the book with everywhere I would go; I used to read on the subway, at the bar of the college before classes started, on the bus when I was coming back home, while I was cooking and waiting for the food to be ready... a novel that touched me so much that when I finished the book I felt sorry I had to leave it, and I had to say goodbye to those characters. Not all of the paragraphs are happy and make us laugh, but a good book is the one that can move our emotions and this one really moved mine.

This book, at the time, left me speechless when I finished reading it. I loved it, really. The characterization Emma and Dexter, the main characters, is excellent and they are such deep characters that they became real in my head.

The ending is not what I expected, which makes the book even more special: it doesn't hold on to what people would like to read or to the easiest way out, or to the most romantic and happily ever after answer. I remember thinking that for a long time a book hadn't touch my feelings like this one, especially with an ending like this.

And the writing of David Nichols is simply wonderful. For me, he is one of the best writers I've ever read; he plays with our feelings and emotions and gives life to the characters like only a few writers can do.

Labels: ,