The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, John Boyne - My review

From Goodreads:

Berlin 1942

When Bruno returns home from school one day, he discovers that his belongings are being packed in crates. His father has received a promotion and the family must move from their home to a new house far far away, where there is no one to play with and nothing to do. A tall fence running alongside stretches as far as the eye can see and cuts him off from the strange people he can see in the distance.

But Bruno longs to be an explorer and decides that there must be more to this desolate new place than meets the eye. While exploring his new environment, he meets another boy whose life and circumstances are very different to his own, and their meeting results in a friendship that has devastating consequences.

Click for Barnes and Noble info
Click for Goodreads info


Product Details (from B&N)




My opinion:
I read this book in less than 48 hours last year. It's a little book, that can be read really easily. 
Bruno is an innocence little boy who lived in Auschwitz with his family. His father served as a commandant for the concentration camp. The little boy was forced to leave his best friends. In his new home he feels lonely until he meets another boy with the same, named Schumuel, who become his only friend. But Bruno and Schumuel, even if they have a lot in common, live in opposite sides of the fence and that will led their friendship towards devastating consequences.
The plot made me read the book from the first page to the last almost without breathing. I loved the connection with historical facts and I loved little Bruno and the way his friendship with Schumuel grows every day. Their conversations have the innocence, ideals and thoughts of the children. In the end, with the unexpected twist, I felt tears on my eyes. It's a really beautiful book.
I didn't watch the movie but I don't really want to. Usually movies ruin the book. I prefer to read the story, image the characters and scenarios. I think I couldn't feel all the emotions I felt while reading the book if I watched the movie instead.


My rating:

Labels: ,