The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate, Jaqueline Kelly - My review



Click here for Barnes and Noble
Click here for Goodreads


I've been neglecting my blog a bit this week, but I had lot of work to do. Today here I am with a review of a book I read a year ago. I was on vacations on my mum’s village, a really small village in the North of Portugal, and I there wasn’t much to do, so reading was my main activity (sometimes I miss moments like this).

Info from Goodreads:
Overview
Calpurnia Virginia Tate is eleven years old in 1899 when she wonders why the yellow grasshoppers in her Texas backyard are so much bigger than the green ones. With a little help from her notoriously cantankerous grandfather, an avid naturalist, she figures out that the green grasshoppers are easier to see against the yellow grass, so they are eaten before they can get any larger. As Callie explores the natural world around her, she develops a close relationship with her grandfather, navigates the dangers of living with six brothers, and comes up against just what it means to be a girl at the turn of the century.

Product Details (Barnes and Noble)
ISBN-13: 9780312659301
Publisher: Square Fish
Publication date: 1/4/2011
Pages: 352
Product dimensions: 5.10 (w) x 7.50 (h) x 1.00 (d)

My opinion:
I like Calpurnia, with her loyalty and her ambition for great things, in a time where women were expected to be good housewives. And I think what I liked the most was her relationship with her grandfather; a relationship that begins with their interest by sciences.
Calpurnia's activities with her grandfather bring up a conflict with Calpurnia's mother. Calpurnia hates the idea of becoming like her mum and all the women from her that time, so she starts fighting to follow her heart’s desire.
I’m not particularly in love by this book, but I think it was a funny reading and it’s really well written. It’s a good book for all ages, especially younger girls.
The plot is not passionate, full of action or love; it’s a book about a girl who loves science and who is discovering and trying to follow her passion. You can read about Darwin, Newton, Marie Curie, and about the excitement that is inherent to a scientific finding.

My rating is:

Labels: ,