"The Inheritance of Loss" - my review

Review of the book "The Inheritance of Loss", about which you can find info on an old post here.


For some time I wanted to read this book. The cover and the tittle caught my attention at first glance, but, at the same time, I was afraid that this was one of those books which would make me feel disappointed because of the initial expectations I had about it.

I admit that initially it was a little hard for me to read and make a connection between characters and stories. The first, let’s say, 150 pages, were slow reading. After that, as I became more familiar with the characters, it started to be easier to establish a connection between everything I was reading.

The writing is amazing, almost like poetry sometimes. There are lots of details, which is, in my opinion, a positive thing, although sometimes it makes the story develop slowly. But, on the other hand, I think that the details give value to the book and to the story.

It takes some mental availability to really capture every detail that is written; to travel between India, England, USA, a little bit of Russia, without getting lost along the way; to create a connection with the characters, remembering their past and the present.

From Sai's life (and her relationship with Gyan), who lives in India with her grandfather (who had a brilliant past but became a cold man) and with the cook (whose son was working for the U.S.A.), through Uncle Potty, an alcoholic, Father Botty, who has a “small secret" revealed halfway through the book, and the two sisters who live alone and have to rely on a guard who they barely know, to the life of Biju and his friends in the U.S. and the difficulties foreigners can have a country that is not theirs. We see the lives of the characters unfold from a past time at a college in England which is the beginning of new habits and ideas, an orphanage, illegal ways to achieve what you want, because it's the only way to get it, the idea that you have to hide the past or present story about your family; war and hate. It is the story of an inherited poverty, that often goes unnoticed, and an inhumanity that we would prefer that not existed.

It is not a light reading, but I recommend it.

GX3YZQ2WJJ6G

Labels: ,