The Storyteller by Antonia Michaelis - my review


I'm sorry for the delay on posting this review, but I'm travelling this week and I didn't bring my laptop with me for such a short time.
Here it is, finally, my review about The Storyteller

Overview (via Goodreads):
Anna and Abel couldn’t be more different. They are both seventeen and in their last year of school, but while Anna lives in a nice old town house and comes from a well-to-do family, Abel, the school drug dealer, lives in a big, prisonlike tower block at the edge of town. Anna is afraid of him until she realizes that he is caring for his six-year-old sister on his own. Fascinated, Anna follows the two and listens as Abel tells little Micha the story of a tiny queen assailed by dark forces. It’s a beautiful fairy tale that Anna comes to see has a basis in reality. Abel is in real danger of losing Micha to their abusive father and to his own inability to make ends meet. Anna gradually falls in love with Abel, but when his “enemies” begin to turn up dead, she fears she has fallen for a murderer. Has she?


Award-winning author Antonia Michaelis moves in a bold new direction with her latest novel: a dark, haunting, contemporary story that is part mystery, part romance, and part melodrama.


My opinion:

This book is amazing from page one. I couldn't stop reading it. The way it's written is poetic, and yet it's easy to read. 
It's hard to write about a book that I enjoyed so much like this one. It's hard to let you know what I felt while reading, what I fell now. These things you have to feel them, and that happens when you find a great book.
The main character, Anna, is just an ordinary girl who falls in love with Abel. But he seems to have some secrets, and if in the beginning Anna doesn't suspects anything and she doesn't even want to think about it, she starts to question lots of things later in the book: things he does,the meaning of the words he says... 
She worries about him and his little sister,an adorable girl named Micha. And later she fears for herself. 
There are strong feelings in this book, which I could feel while reading. Not all books make feel something, but when a book makes you feel the things I felt while reading The Storyteller, it has to be a good book. It made me want to cry, and smile, and laugh, and also scream in frustration.
And I loved the "a story within the story" idea by the author. It is amazingly well written and the transitions between "real life" and Abel's fairy tale is perfectly well made... I had the same interest in both stories,and both made me feel different things. One wouldn't make sense without the other. It was amazing how I could feel so connected to both stories too.
I feel happy, sad and angry because of what Anna was living; I felt hope for Abel, but also wondered sometimes who was his real self; and Micha, she is absolutely sweet! I found myself questioning so many times the same things, because once I thought I knew what was going to happen next, but then it turned out I was wrong.
The fairy tale is an amazing story linked to the real world of Anna, Abel and Micha, and all characters are important, everyone has a role in both worlds. It's simply amazing this connection, and it's really cool to see how the story goes in both worlds.
While I was reading there were moments when I changed my opinion (and not only once) about how the book would end, who was guilty and who was not, or what really happened and what was a lie.
I thought the book would be something different, a more girlish kind of thing, but I don't feel that it is. Yes, you have teenage romance and a fairy tale in the story, you have magic, but you also have the thriller and mystery side, a darker side. It was hard for me to put the book down because I always wanted to know what was going to happen next.
Things aren't what they seem to be. This book totally blew me away.

I highly recommend it.

My rating:

Labels: ,