Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake - my review

Overview (via Goodreads):

It's been months since the ghost of Anna Korlov opened a door to Hell in her basement and disappeared into it, but ghost-hunter Cas Lowood can't move on. 

His friends remind him that Anna sacrificed herself so that Cas could liveā€”not walk around half dead. He knows they're right, but in Cas's eyes, no living girl he meets can compare to the dead girl he fell in love with.

Now he's seeing Anna everywhere: sometimes when he's asleep and sometimes in waking nightmares. But something is very wrong...these aren't just daydreams. Anna seems tortured, torn apart in new and ever more gruesome ways every time she appears.

Cas doesn't know what happened to Anna when she disappeared into Hell, but he knows she doesn't deserve whatever is happening to her now. Anna saved Cas more than once, and it's time for him to return the favor.


Product details (via Goodreads):
Hardcover, 332 pages
Published August 7th 2012 by Tor Teen (first published 2012)
ISBN: 0765328666 (ISBN13: 9780765328663)
Edition language: English
Original title: Girl of Nightmares
URL: http://us.macmillan.com/girlofnightmares/KendareBlake
Series: Anna #2

My opinion:
On one hand I hoped that this book had more about Anna than it has, but one the other hand I imagined she wouldn't appear as much as in the first book.

I think it's a great sequel for the story, with Cas fighting for what he believes.
I was glad the same trio from school was still together. It made me feel that familiarity that I got used to with the first book.

Blake, like before, amazed me with her writing. She can turn everything so simply. It's like we are reading real dialogs from real people. She doesn't try to make things sound better, she is absolutely brilliant because she is so spontaneous on her writing. And I love the dark humor on her books.
The descriptions of what surrounds the characters are amazing. I could picture it in my mind so clearly.

This book didn't make me keep reading and reading until the end like the first one did, not with the same desire of knowing what was going to happen to Cas, Anna or the friends, but the first one was a new thing, and the story was a bit different.  It doesn't mean I didn't enjoyed it as much, because I did.
But the closest to the ending, the more excited I would get, and I read the last chapters with the same will I read the first book.

It's impossible not to like Cas and his two biggest friends, Thomas and Carmel. In fact, I think I liked  Carmel more in this new book. And of course it's impossible not to like Anna, feel a little empathy for her story and what she's been through since the first book.

And the ending is superb, i enjoyed every single sentence. I have no words to describe it, I just remember having a smile on my face while I was reading.



My rating:

The first book of the series:


Anna Dressed in Blood

Click here to read my review

Click here for Goodreads info



Become a fan of Coffee Break on Facebook


Labels: ,