The Nightmare Affair by Mindee Arnett - My review

Overview (via Goodreads):
Sixteen-year-old Dusty Everhart breaks into houses late at night, but not because she’s a criminal. No, she’s a Nightmare.


Literally.

Being the only Nightmare at Arkwell Academy, a boarding school for magicking  and living in the shadow of her mother’s infamy, is hard enough. But when Dusty sneaks into Eli Booker’s house, things get a whole lot more complicated. He’s hot, which means sitting on his chest and invading his dreams couldn't get much more embarrassing. But it does. Eli is dreaming of a murder.

Then Eli’s dream comes true.

Now Dusty has to follow the clues—both within Eli’s dreams and out of them—to stop the killer before more people turn up dead. And before the killer learns what she’s up to and marks her as the next target.


Product details (via Goodreads):

Papperback:
Hardcover, 367 pages
Published March 5th 2013 by Tor Teen
ISBN 0765333333 (ISBN13: 9780765333339)
Edition language: English
Original title: The Nightmare Affair
Series: The Arkwell Academy #1

Kindle edition:
Kindle Edition368 pages
Published March 5th 2013 by Tor Teen
ASIN B00AEC8PA6
Edition language English
Original title The Nightmare Affair
Series: The Arkwell Academy #1

My opinion:
This was a fun reading. Some of the ideas about the paranormal world are kind of new. The author decided to create a school with fairies, sirens, psychics and wizards, which felt familiar but at the same time you don't find in every book you read. But you can also find some already-seen ideas that make the book lose part of it's originality. In general I think this series has great potential, because the world created in this first book is mostly new and creative.

Dusty (aka Destiny) is a Nightmare, one of the several "species" in the magic world. Nightmares feed on fictus, the substance of dreams. In the Arkwell Academy you can find all sorts of magical species.
The book starts with Dusty feeding on Eli's dream. In this dream they witness a murder, and for Dusty's surprise the dream comes true.
Dusty will have to work with Eli searching for clues to find the murderer, but it won't be easy in the beginning.

I think Dusty is a fun character, always with hilarious comments about almost everything, even herself. The characters are likable, however I think they could have been better developed. In the end I didn't feel like I knew something more than the basic about any of them, not even Dusty.

About the plot, I think it's weak. It starts all right and to be the beginning of the book was interesting. But it starts to lose it's magic, even when it show be thrilling because they are looking for a murderer. I think I felt a little disappointed while reading the book. The plot starts being a little predicting, and I felt like there was something missing all the time. Since I first heard about this book that I really wanted to read it, and now I wish the book could be more than what it really is. There were moments when I had to force myself to keep reading and that's not a good sign.

The writing was simple and easy to read, but the author didn't manage to write in a way that made me want to keep reading the book. Sometimes even when the plot is weak, the writer can surpass that by the way he or she writes, which makes the book more interesting. It didn't happen with this book. Not that I didn't enjoyed the writing. The author made good descriptions and I liked the way she makes Dusty the narrator of the story, with the funny internal monologues and personal thoughts. But, like I said, the characters are pour and the plot was predictable most of the time.

I recommend it if your want something light to read. It was entertaining, some of the chapters were quit nice, but unfortunately it didn't make me feel excited and jump out of my seat wanting to know more.

My rating:

Labels: ,